Career Opportunity: Associate Director
ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
Founded by entrepreneur Eli Broad and his wife Edythe, both graduates of Detroit Public Schools, The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation is a philanthropy that seeks to ensure that every student in an urban public school has the opportunity to succeed. Bringing together top education experts and practitioners, the foundation funds system-wide programs and policies that strengthen public schools by creating environments that allow good teachers to do great work and enable students of all backgrounds to learn and thrive.
The Broad Foundation believes that K-12 education policies and practices generally have not kept pace with modern teacher and student needs. For example, too often resources do not make it to the classroom, teachers do not receive the support they need, poor and minority students receive unequal learning opportunities, and many talented professionals are discouraged from entering the education sector.
The Broad Foundation also believes that students of all backgrounds deserve the opportunity to reach their full potential in school and in life, that teachers deserve the support and working conditions they need to meet individual student needs, grow professionally and feel gratified by, and honored for, their good work, and that parents of all income levels deserve access to great public schools and the assurance that their child’s teacher has the tools and support they need to deliver a personalized, world-class education.
The Broad Foundation supports bold, innovative changes that will:
- Empower teachers with the time, flexibility, creativity and support to meet individual student needs while reasonably holding leaders, teachers and parents accountable for student growth,
- Ensure adequate funding, resources and materials reach the classroom,
- Meet world-class standards for teaching, learning and operations,
- Attract and retain the best and the brightest Americans—who often turn to other professions—into our public school classrooms and school systems,
- Create quality public school options so that urban parents can send their children to high-quality, public schools, and
- Develop and share new research, data and perspectives with policymakers, practitioners and parents to help create environments that allow good teachers to do great work and enable students of all backgrounds to learn and thrive.
Groundbreaking innovation in teaching and learning. Technology is a tremendous untapped resource to dramatically increase student learning. The Broad Foundation supports schools, policies and nonprofit entrepreneurs who are advancing technologies that enable public school teachers to adapt instruction to meet the personal needs of every student. Modern “blended learning” or “personalized learning” environments are designed to empower teachers with technology that individualizes the pace and style of instruction so all students can make dramatic gains. Smart new learning models like these amplify the effects of great teachers and engage students and parents as active partners in the learning experience.
Transformative federal and state policy. The Broad Foundation supports federal and state policies that remove the barriers to dramatic improvement in student learning and create the human capital, school choice, resource and governance conditions under which districts, schools, teachers and students can succeed. The Broad Foundation helps state education agencies become dynamic, performance-oriented organizations that can adopt and implement bold reforms tied to teacher and student needs. The Broad Foundation also invests in portfolio district models, such as the Recovery School District in Louisiana and the Education Achievement Authority in Detroit, to dramatically improve the opportunities and choices for our nation’s most disadvantaged students.
Redesigned, high-performing institutions. Redesigned school districts, high-quality public charter schools, The Broad Center for the Management of School Systems, The Broad Prize finalist districts and alternative teaching pathways like Teach For America have one thing in common: they have all adopted or created new learning models that produce gains for students of all backgrounds, at scale. The Broad Foundation continues to support these best-in-class institutions and share their tools and practices that make it faster and easier for new leaders to grow high-performing organizations.
The Broad Foundation rigorously assesses culture fit in potential hires and believes that the fit of a candidate within its culture is as important as a candidate’s professional qualifications. The foundation is an extremely entrepreneurial, fast-paced and results-oriented environment where flexibility and team-work are required from all employees.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This is an ideal opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual with strong communication and exceptional analytical skills to drive progress on technology enabled instructional models as well as working across a variety of investment areas, advancing innovation and excellence in the education sector.
As a key member of The Eli & Edythe Broad Foundation’s investment team, the Associate Director will manage and support a portfolio of investments focused on current and emerging work across all of the foundation’s core investment areas, with an emphasis on technology enabled instructional models. This portfolio is aimed at expanding the number of successful proof points in digital/blended learning, while working to remove barriers to the expansion of this type of innovative learning structure. In addition, this person will be a part of a dedicated, high-performing team that is committed to creating a broad portfolio of transformative, high-leverage investments in the education space, working across initiatives and portfolios.
- Support and collaborate with directors on the program investment team in the identification, management and evaluation of investments
- Manage and support a significant portfolio of investments, ensuring that portfolio organizations receive effective guidance and assistance
- Build strong relationships with a broad array of grantees and provide support to grantees throughout the grant development, implementation and evaluation process
- Analyze proposals, design programs, and help develop and approve budgets
- Work with evaluators to develop and implement assessment mechanisms for grants
- Be current on leading challenges, issues, new thinking and personalities in the education reform sector that are relevant to achieving the mission of the foundation
- A minimum of seven years of professional work experience required; previous experience in management consulting, finance or managing complex projects strongly preferred
- Exceptional analytical capabilities with the capacity to understand complex organizations and the ability to conceptualize, manage and evaluate multiple large-scale projects
- Ability to work effectively with a range of senior leaders, across a diverse spectrum of grantees and focus areas
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial and/or fast-paced environment; an entrepreneurial spirit is a must
- Personal presence and communication skills to represent the foundation in diverse forums and organizational relationships
- Demonstrated personal commitment to the cause of improving urban public education systems, together with determination to find creative ways to improve upon traditional structures
- Willingness to travel up to 25% domestically
- Bachelor’s degree and advanced degree (e.g. MBA, MPP or JD) strongly preferred
Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check. You must be legally entitled to work in the United States.
The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristic covered by law with regard to employment opportunities.