Temporary Administrative Support
The Broad Foundation Administrative, Communications and Broad Prize Teams
Schedule: Full-Time (40 hours/week)
Location: Los Angeles, California
Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
Posted: June 2013
The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation
Founded by entrepreneur Eli Broad and his wife Edythe, both graduates of Detroit Public Schools, The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation is a philanthropy that seeks to ensure that every student in an urban public school has the opportunity to succeed. Bringing together top education experts and practitioners, the foundation funds system-wide programs and policies that strengthen public schools by creating environments that allow good teachers to do great work and enable students of all backgrounds to learn and thrive. For more information, please visit www.broadeducation.org.
Since its inception in 1999, The Broad Foundation has strategically invested hundreds of millions of dollars in education reform initiatives, including the annual Broad Prize for Urban Education, a $1 million award that honors urban school districts across the country that demonstrate the greatest overall performance and improvement in student achievement while reducing achievement gaps among low-income and students of color. For more information, please visit www.broadprize.org.
The foundation seeks a full-time temp from July through November 2013 (exact dates to be determined) to provide administrative support to The Broad Foundation’s Broad Prize, administrative and communications teams.
We are looking for motivated, energetic and committed candidates with administrative experience and skill. Successful candidates will be highly organized, resourceful, flexible and able to manage multiple and shifting tasks simultaneously and with a sense of urgency and humor. Ideal candidates are smart, proactive, like to organize busy and fast-paced projects, and can come into the position and immediately prioritize tasks and implement systems to keep the teams moving at top speed.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in preparing for the September 25, 2013 event to announce the winner of The Broad Prize.
- Provide administrative support to The Broad Prize team, including phones, travel, filing, photocopying, mailing and general office organization.
- Create and maintain Excel-based lists.
- Merge and format Word documents for public distribution.
- Track Broad Prize event invitation responses.
- Perform research projects.
- Create and maintain media lists.
- Distribute press releases over the news wire and through an email blast system.
- Organize, compile and maintain press materials and press kits.
- Create PowerPoint presentations/slide shows.
- Assist with various office organization projects.
The successful candidate will have exemplary skills in the following areas:
- Writing and Organization – The position requires excellent writing and communication skills, strong organizational skills and an ability to work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment with high-profile leaders in business, education and the media.
- Communication – Must have a professional telephone demeanor and email communication, take accurate phone messages and exercise discretion on sensitive issues.
- Administration – Must be able to provide dependable, accurate and proactive professional administrative support, including work on travel arrangements, correspondence, expense reports and reconciliation, meeting coordination, mailings, filing, phones and database management.
- Technology – Must be able to use technology productively and efficiently, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet research. Knowledge of HTML and ACT is a plus.
- Special event coordination – Must be able to assist The Broad Prize team with various special projects including research, event planning and meeting coordination.
- Attitude – Must have a good sense of humor, positive attitude and high degree of flexibility, energy and creativity.
An undergraduate degree is required. Spanish writing proficiency is a plus.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the job.
Interested candidates should apply with a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title, “Broad Prize temp” in the subject line. Employment is contingent on writing and work samples and satisfactory background and reference check. You must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
We will only contact applicants chosen for further consideration.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristic covered by law with regard to employment opportunities.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the job.